Get to the Core of It: Best Practices in the Four Core Services - A Five Part Series Part 3: Individual Advocacy (1.5 Hours)
About the Training
Taking place in five parts, the Get to the Core of It series presents best practices and innovative approaches to the four core services: Information & Referral, Systems Advocacy, Individual Advocacy, Independent Living Skills Training, and Peer Support. Each presentation is brand new, incorporating the best material of the original presentations with fresh content developed from new experiences and feedback from our original audiences.
The four additional trainings in the series are:
- Part 1: Information & Referral presented by Darrel Christenson & Roger Howard
- Part 2: Systems Advocacy presented by Chris Hilderbrant
- Part 4: IL Skills Training presented by Tim Sheehan
- Part 5: Peer Support presented by Amina Donna Kruck & April Reed
In the third program in the series, Marsha Sweet, a veteran advocate from the Center for Disability Rights in Rochester, NY shares her approach to introducing consumers to independent living and helping them find their voice and power as advocates. In addition to sharing her philosophy and approach, Marsha provides specific tips for connecting with all kinds of consumers, helping them navigate and fight barriers and injustice, and developing leadership and advocacy skills.
Executive directors, advocates, and other staff members of Centers for Independent Living who are involved in advocating with and for people with disabilities. This workshop will be helpful for consumers, self-advocates, and advocates.
Upon completion of this training, participants will have knowledge and resources which will enable them to:
- Explain the philosophy and role of individual advocacy as a core service that changes people’s lives through empowerment and choice
- Explain skills and strategies for building relationships with consumers that nurture trust and accountability
- Describe elements of an effective advocacy model
- Describe effective methods for assisting consumers in dealing with the many bureaucracies they face
Transcript and Resources:
- PowerPoint presentation (PPT file)
- Transcript of the Program (MS Word docx)
- Additional Resources on CIL Core Services
Complete an Evaluation - Please help us present topics you want more information about and make future discussions better by giving us your feedback. Use the following link to go to our evaluation http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2071181/On-Demand-Training-Evaluation.