Ride On! An introduction to Accessible Transportation Programs and Advocacy at CILs, Part 1
About the Training
In this two-part series on accessible transportation programs and advocacy, the presenters walk you through the pros and cons of accessible transportation programs in different types of communities. They discuss a variety of potential funders and partners for transportation programs, as well as effective advocacy strategies when you and your consumers encounter barriers to transportation.
Part 1 - Introduction to Accessible Transportation
- The State of Accessible Transportation
- Accessible Transportation Options
- Possible Funding Sources
- LINC’s Rural Transportation Program
- Effective Partnership
- Advocacy Strategies
Executive directors, program managers, and staff of Centers for Independent Living concerned with transportation for persons with disabilities; Statewide Independent Living Council staff and members may also benefit.
Upon completion of this two-part series, participants will have knowledge and resources which will enable them to:
- Describe the impact and current state of the ADA on accessible transportation
- Identify different types of transportation, including pros and cons of Fixed Route vs. Paratransit options
- Identify major program funding sources for specialized transportation services offered by CILs
- Promote coordination and collaboration with public and private transit providers at the state, regional, and local levels through effective relationship building
- Describe best practices for developing an effective rural transportation program through examples and case studies
- Describe effective advocacy and marketing strategies, including processes for documenting ADA violations, responding to consumer complaints, and disseminating important information
Transcript and Resources:
- PowerPoint presentation (PPTX file)
- Lift Line Rider Statement (MS Word doc)
- RTS Rider Statement (MS Word doc)
- Transcript of the Program (MS Word doc)
Complete an Evaluation - Please help us present topics you want more information about and make future discussions better by giving us your feedback. Use the following link to go to our evaluation http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2071181/On-Demand-Training-Evaluation.