Recognizing & Responding to Caregiver Abuse (1.5 hours)
About the Training
Independent Living advocates do not need to be told of the prevalence of violence and abuse towards people with disabilities; nor of the high rates of crime and abuse perpetrated by caregivers. Unfortunately, the problem is all too obvious.
But, do you and your staff know how to recognize and respond to the signs of caregiver abuse? With increased awareness and information, CIL staff will be more equipped to be part of the solution to the problem. This training will help you learn how to recognize and put a stop to caregiver abuse.
Any CIL staff members who work directly with consumers and want to improve their ability to recognize and respond appropriately to cases of violence and abuse, as well as staff from CILs that provide personal assistance services.
Upon completion of this training, participants will have knowledge and resources that will enable them to:
- Recognize and understand signs of caregiver abuse, including sexual assault by caregivers, similarities and differences between caregiver abuse and domestic violence, and financial exploitation by caregivers.
- Describe the importance of abuse education and policies and procedures for CIL staff in order to create a safe environment for consumers and staff to disclose abuse and to ensure that appropriate protective action can be taken
- Explain the essentials of trauma-based interviewing while maintaining the safety of everyone involved and introduction to the importance of safety planning.
- Recognize the importance of collaboration with victim service programs in their communities in order to provide effective information and appropriate referral.
PowerPoint Presentation and Other Resources
- PowerPoint Presentation (PPTX file)
- PowerPoint presentation (PDF file)
- PowerPoint presentation (Accessible text file)
- Transcript of the program (MS Word docx)
View Training (01:24:24)
Complete an Evaluation - Please help us present topics you want more information about and make future discussions better by giving us your feedback. Use the following link to go to our evaluation http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2071181/On-Demand-Training-Evaluation.