ILRU, founded in 1975, has a long history of providing research, education and consultation in the areas of independent living, home and community-based services, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
ILRU's core areas of expertise are:
- Centers for Independent Living and Statewide Independent Living Councils: Long a leader in the area of independent living, ILRU through the IL-NET's CIL-NET and SILC-NET projects offers training and technical assistance to CILs and SILCs. An up-to-date directory of CILs and SILCs is available online through the project website.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): The Southwest ADA Center is is one of ten regional ADA Centers that provide technical assistance and training on the ADA. ILRU also is a member of the ADA Participation Action Research Consortium (ADA-PARC).
- Disaster Preparedness for People with Disabilities: The Disability911 website was created to provide assistance in and information on disaster preparedness for people with disabilities.
- New Community Opportunities Center: The New Community Opportunities Center has as its mission to assist CILs and SILCs to promote community-based alternatives to institutionalization and successful transition of youth with disabilities from school to postsecondary education, employment and independent living.
- Secondary Conditions in the Rehabilitation of Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury: ILRU is a contributing partner to this Rehabilitation Research and Training Center with a focus on providing information and knowledge about how to prevent secondary conditions such as cardiovascular disease, obesity, and pressure ulcers after a spinal cord injury (SCI).
ILRU provides training, technical assistance, and information dissemination on a number of topics and in a variety of formats. On-location, online and on-demand trainings, Webinars and teleconferences provide timely information on a wide range of topics. Technical assistance is provided on-demand as needs are identified. Materials and resources on a wide array of topics are available for download from this website. For information on the projects led by ILRU or to which we lend our expertise, use the menu above to select a specific project. Use the topic menu on the right or the search feature above to review the range of information available on a topic or area of interest.